Discovery Ranch is the most comprehensive experiential program and campus in the industry. Over twenty years of experience have taught the founders of Discovery Ranch that memories, experiences and traditions shape lives. Our experiential focus permeates throughout our therapy, residential and academic programs which are intricately interwoven to create a unique therapeutic environment.
Experiential therapy, as many students experience in wilderness programs, creates a powerful and intense opportunity for staff and students to work side by side. Together relationships are formed, progress is made, and memories of a lifetime are created.
What is Experiential Therapy?
Experiential therapy involves not only the cognitive exchange of internal processing but includes a sensory rich and emotionally laden environment, which includes sights, smells, sounds and touch. The ranch has 20 acres of opportunities to provide a plethora of experiential activities for the students.
“What I hear I forget, what I see I remember, what I do I understand.” Confucius
Many programs have experiential activities, however Discovery Ranch is a comprehensive program, integrating clinical and real life experience, for example:
- Calf Program (taking care of a newborn calf)
- Equine Therapy
- High and Low Ropes Course
- Community Service (working with handicapped children, helping at homeless shelter, and other “Forget About Me” or FAM projects)
- Make a Difference Day (crocheting quilts for homeless shelters and Primary Children’s Hospital)
- Life Skills/Goal Setting/Daily Planners
- Yard Work (weeding and planting flowerbeds)
- Various off campus activities (hiking, biking, running, skiing, repelling, horse back trail riding, camping, trips, etc)
- Academic Field Trips (Fridays)
Every experience at Discovery Ranch will be educational and therapeutic in a fun purposeful environment.